The difference between misty and fog
is that "misty" is covered in mist; foggy and "fog" is a thick cloud that forms near the ground; the obscurity of such a cloud.
- Covered in mist; foggy.
- (figurative) Dim; vague; obscure.
- (figurative) With tears in the eyes; dewy-eyed.
- It’s very misty this morning; I can’t see a thing!
- a misty memory of his childhood
- Her eyes grew misty the night her long-time friend passed away.
- (uncountable) A thick cloud that forms near the ground; the obscurity of such a cloud.
- (uncountable) A mist or film clouding a surface.
- A state of mind characterized by lethargy and confusion.
- (photography) A silver deposit or other blur on a negative or developed photographic image.
- (computer graphics) Distance fog.
- Thus the red damask curtains which now shut out the fog-laden, drizzling atmosphere of the Marylebone Road, had cost a mere song, and yet they might have been warranted to last another thirty years. A great bargain also had been the excellent Axminster carpet which covered the floor; […].
- Synonyms: haze, mist
- Synonym: steam
- He did so many drugs, he was still in a fog three months after going through detox.
- I was on my way to the door, but all at once, through the fog in my head, I began to sight one reef that I hadn’t paid any attention to afore.
- Synonyms: daze, haze
- (intransitive) To become covered with or as if with fog.
- (intransitive) To become obscured in condensation or water.
- (intransitive, photography) To become dim or obscure.
- (transitive, photography) To make dim or obscure.
- (transitive) To cover with or as if with fog.
- (transitive) To disperse insecticide into (a forest canopy) so as to collect organisms.
- (transitive) To obscure in condensation or water.
- (transitive) To make confusing or obscure.
- To practice in a small or mean way; to pettifog.
- The mirror fogged every time he showered.
- Synonyms: become cloudy, become steamy
- Fogging for adult mosquito control began on June 4th in residential areas. Until September 25th, the Metro area was fogged eleven times, using nine truck-mounted foggers, eight hand swing foggers, and two boats.
- Unfortunately, the pendulum has swung way too far to the other end where the saying in the industry is is that if you could fog a mirror, you could get a loan.
- Synonyms: blur, cloud, obscure
- Where wouldst thou fog to get a fee?