The difference between pigeon and sparrow
is that "pigeon" is one of several birds of the family Columbidae, which consists of more than 300 species and "sparrow" is the house sparrow, Passer domesticus; a small bird with a short bill, and brown, white and gray feathers.
- One of several birds of the family Columbidae, which consists of more than 300 species.
- (uncountable) The meat from this bird.
- (Canada, US, informal) A person who is a target or victim of a confidence game.
- (Britain, informal) Concern or responsibility.
- (countable, politics) A pacifist, appeaser, an isolationist, a dove.
- Synonyms: columbid, culver, dove
- Synonyms: dupe, fish, sucker; dupe
- it’s his/her pigeon
- (transitive) To deceive with a confidence game.
- The house sparrow, Passer domesticus; a small bird with a short bill, and brown, white and gray feathers.
- A member of the family Passeridae, comprising small Old World songbirds.
- A member of the family Emberizidae, comprising small New World songbirds.
- Generically, any small, nondescript bird.
- (Britain, chiefly London) A quick-witted, lively person. Often used in the phrase cockney sparrow.
- spadger, sparra, spoggy, spuggy
- Professional cockney sparrow Martine has acted since childhood.
- I take it there ‘s scarcely a happier fellow alive than your honest town-bred smoke-dried cockney sparrow.