- A grouping of three.
- A word of three syllables.
- A branch of a Chinese underground criminal society, mostly based in Hong Kong.
- (electronics) on a CRT display, a group of three neighbouring phosphor dots, coloured green, red, and blue.
- (music) A chord consisting of a root tone, the tone two degrees higher, and the tone four degrees higher in a given scale.
- (group of three): monad · duad, dyad · triad · tetrad · pentad · hexad · heptad · octad · ennead, nonad · decad, decade · hendecad · dodecad, duodecade
- (word of four syllables): quaternion
- Synonyms: *********, trine, trinity, trio, triplet, troika, triumvirate; trio
- There are, says the Irish triad, ‘three fewnesses that are better than plenty: a fewness of fine words; a fewness of cows on grass; a fewness of good friends around good ale’. As an Ulsterman I would agree.
- Synonym: trisyllable
- In his general deportment he was pompous and important, affecting a species of florid elocution, which often became ridiculous from his misarranging the triads and quaternions with which he loaded his sentences.
- of or relating to a triad
- (obsolete) trivalent
- (translation studies) describing interpreting that involves three parties, i.e., the two clients and the interpreter
- (relating to a triad): ternary, treble; triple
- The notion that one is doing a worthwhile job and the interpretation of just what kinds of intervention are possible are key in the issues of triadic interpreting…