- At a higher level, rank or position.
- Situated on higher ground, further inland, or more northerly.
- (geology, of strata or geological time periods) younger, more recent
- (education) Of or pertaining to a secondary school.
- (at a higher position): lower, under
- (situated higher): lower
- (more recent): lower
- A stimulant, such as amphetamine, that increases energy and decreases appetite.
- The upper portion of something
- Someone with higher social standing
- That which is higher, contrasted with the lower.
- (Taoism) A spiritual passageway through which consciousness can reach a higher dimension.
- on one’s uppers – destitute
- The slewing ring is basically a large bearing upon which the upper is mounted. The outer race of the slewing ring is bolted to the upper, and the inner race is bolted to the car-body.
- These lines, GH and PC, are cut when the outline of the upper is cut out.
- The uppers of his patent-leather shoes were hidden by fawn spats.
- Thus a vicious circle is established: the uppers offer participation, and the lowers, feeling persecuted, withdraw.
- It is advisable, for example, to learn the words to the school loyalty and to “Fair Harvard" in the event that you are “asked" to give an impromptu “concert" in the Yard for the benefit of the Uppers.
- Next, take up slack equally on the two uppers until they are snug.
- During the seventh week, the limbs also rotate laterally in the uppers and medially in the lowers.
- In this compact middle level between the uppers and the lowers, I actually had a counter in front of me, where food or drink could be safely planted, without fear of knocking over onto any patrons sitting in the seats below me.
- In the lingualized type of occlusion, contact of the lingual cusps of the uppers against the semianatomic teeth on the lowers will be seen in lateral, protrusive, and eccentric movements.
- These reentrant folds, especially those on the buccal side of the uppers and the lingual side of the lowers, are quickly isolated by wear into infundibula within lakes of dentin.
- Periodically check the bite with the uppers and lowers to ensure that your actor’s mouth will close correctly.
- Considering the badly decayed condition of the Chief’s other teeth, I recommended removal of what remained of the uppers, followed by a “full plate" after healing.
- Treatment was continued until November, 1909, when a retainer was placed in position in the lower, consisting of bands round the lower first molars and a wire passing lingually round all the teeth. The upper was retained by means of a plate with wires wires passing behind the upper first molars and round in front of all the teeth.
- The lower was perfect, but the upper was bad, and the dentist was going to make the upper again.
- The upper was retained with a Hawley bite plane; the lip bumper was continued for an additional 18 months.
- The Railroad Company further averred that it operated sleeping cars over its system of more than 7,000 miles of interstate roads, and that the Interstate Commerce Commission had prescribed rates for each of said sleeping car units on trains running to and from the state of Wisconsin. The rate fixed for the upper was 80 per cent. of the charge for the use of the lower; the price for the whole section beting the sum of the two rates.
- But trains have changed. Gone are the uppers and lowers, partitions and cranks, and the green velour; only the porter remains, the same man, I think, a black man with palms the color of shrimp and a neck swollen with dislike.
- Twelve lowers and twelve uppers and three beds in the drawing rooms.
- Of course I naturally I asked why, but all the satisfaction I got for the time being was that the upper was good enough for me, and that it was a pretty good place in which to sleep, anyway.
- The uppers were reached by comfortably safe steps with handrails and slip proof coatings.
- The ‘upper’ is one of nine apertures through which consciousness can leave the body at death .
- When the Tao Te Ching says: “In thought, you can see the cavity," it is referring to what the Triplex Unity describes as “When the upper is closed, we call it existence; when the lower is closed, we call it nothingness."
- It is said in Tibetan culture, in order to understand the upper, it is necessary to understand the lower first. Once, the lower is understood, the upper is just an introductory.
- superlative form of upper: most upper
- At or nearest the top of something.
- Well, to me, if you are restricting it to economic policy — because I can surely think of some noneconomic policy concerns that are more uppermost in my mind.
- As a result, it is not always an easy matter to evaluate, as an outsider, the effectiveness of a life-task strategy .